Finally got to watch The Pixar Story. Such a great story of success. Some highlights,
- Creativity is a result of collaboration. More importantly it is this unplanned collaboration that happens when everyone is together physically. This made me wonder about working remote vs working in the office.
- Second Product Syndrome (Steve Jobs): companies do not realize what made their first product (launch) so successful. They go bigger and grandiose without any clue to what made it work the first time.
- It’s not about the ideas, but collaboration on the idea by creative people. People make it successful!
- Let the originality of an idea thrive and blossom – Disney gave Pixar a lot of direction for Toy Story resulting in a mediocre initial script for the film. It was only after the original team re-grouped, threw away all the assumptions and just went with their instinct, seed of the original idea that resulted in what we all know as the Toy Story movie.
- It is really important to not get over-confident or stagnate due to success. What got you to point A of success, won’t get you to the next level. The recipe for success does not remain constant, but constantly evolves with times. Shake things up and get out of the comfort zone!